I love paper mache'. For the longest time I have been saving various "things" that I figure someday could metamorphosis into some seriously creative art piece. For instance, you know the plastic container that roasted chickens come in...I get a chicken and save the container because I see the makin's of an armadillo.

Alas...the excuse to make the armadillo was born.
A Recycled Art Contest! Brilliant!
I started with the roasted chicken container and added an aqua pod plastic bottle for the head.
The recipe I use for Paper mache' is:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water (maybe a tad more if necessary)
1 Tablespoon sugar and a 1 teaspoon salt.
Simple...easy to whip up in a flash and can supply hours of cheap fun!
Next I covered pipe cleaners fashioned for toes (4 per foot). I attached them to toilet paper rolls to make the legs and feet of my creature.
This is all secured with layers and layers of paper strips and mache'. Yes, and hours of labor...remember, I did mention at the beginning
"For the Love of it..."
The ears are fashioned out of craft foam. I have been saving this foam for about 15 years and have used it for three projects. First, it was used to make ears for a stick horse. The horse was part of a display for sales while loving in Arizona.
Ooops, this is obviously a tad out of order, but Butter Bean's Recycle Dollie on the armadillo was just too cute to pass up!
Alas...the excuse to make the armadillo was born.
A Recycled Art Contest! Brilliant!
I started with the roasted chicken container and added an aqua pod plastic bottle for the head.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water (maybe a tad more if necessary)
1 Tablespoon sugar and a 1 teaspoon salt.
Simple...easy to whip up in a flash and can supply hours of cheap fun!
This is all secured with layers and layers of paper strips and mache'. Yes, and hours of labor...remember, I did mention at the beginning
"For the Love of it..."
Just recently the foam came in handy for Halloween. Butter was Pocahontas. A-ha! Brown craft foam is perfect for her belt.
All this time I knew exactly where the foam was and was just waiting for the perfect excuse to use it...and I didn't have to buy it! (See dear hubby why I must save these things!?)
Okay, I am aware that it is a bit...let's just say odd to save things like this, but...I have a greater plan...for someday!
(Yes, the beads are part of my collection of stuff.)
The tail was added last and was simply more paper rolled and fashioned to dry in a bowl to firm up in just the right shape. And yes, again, more layers of paper and more time getting my hands and work surface messy. Gotta love messy!
No comments:
Post a Comment